BGCAP - Mission Statement
THE PROMISE OF COMMUNITY ACTION
Community Action changes people’s lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities, and makes America a better place to live. We care about the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping people help themselves and each other.
Purpose and Mission
The Community Services Act and the Community Action Programs Statement set forth six broadly stated national purposes for Community Action Partnerships to adhere to in developing program goals. Each Community Action Partnership is responsible for local interpretation of the program directions their anti-poverty efforts will take. The goal of each program must meet at least one of these national purposes:
- Strengthen the community capacity for planning and coordinating poverty-related programs.
- Better organize services related to the needs of the poor.
- Innovate and improve programs, institutional practices, laws and regulations which increase opportunities for the poor.
- Increase and make more effective the participation by the poor in the planning and conducting of programs which affect their lives.
- Broaden the base of human and material resources invested by the non-poor in anti-poverty activities.
- Maximize employment opportunity, including opportunities for further occupational training and career development, for residents of the area and members of the group served.